Here is a post on how you can make an all-natural ingredient toothpaste/ tooth oil at your home with basic kitchen ingredients. First of all, congratulations that you have decided to come out of the bandwagon of commercial products and ready to take charge of what you put in your body.
This recipe is very basic and needs only a couple of minutes or less because there is no cooking/processing involved in it. So you need below-mentioned ingredients to make a DIY zero waste toothpaste:
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil/Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt or rock salt
- Few drops of Clove oil
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
Let me explain why this combination can do wonders to your teeth:
- Mustard oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties so it is preferable but if you don’t like the taste of mustard oil you can use coconut oil too.
- Himalayan pink salt is quite important in this recipe because when it dissolves, it eliminates sediment and removes toxins from the teeth.
- Clove oil is optional but a great ingredient due to its antiseptic properties, and is useful in preventing gum disease. It has been found to be very effective as a deworming agent.
- The antimicrobial effects of cinnamon may also help prevent tooth decay and reduce bad breath. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties, reduces infections and helps in fight tooth decay and bad breath.
Just mix all the ingredients with the help of a spoon and store in a glass jar.
- If you are using coconut oil, make sure it is soft before you start blending.
- Use a spoon to take the right amount on your toothbrush, since dipping toothbrush can spread bacteria.
- Although I recommend making this recipe as fresh as possible, this keeps well up to two weeks in a tightly closed glass jar.
- You might be wondering about no mention of baking soda which is usually suggested for DIY toothpaste. I wouldn’t recommend that because it is abrasive and can damage the enamel. If you want, you may add it sometimes, maybe use it twice a week.
p.s: This post no way claim that you can cure cavities or major dental issue as a home remedy but as an alternative to toothpaste for healthy teeth.
Stay healthy, stay natural! 🙂