DIY Tutorial: How to Make Your Own Pallet Sofa
I am so happy and excited to share how we made our own pallet sofa without any knowledge of carpentry in this blog. We were so tired of our 6-year-old L shaped sofa. Our furball Jenny had ruined it so bad and I wanted something more useful and comfortable which meets our lifestyle.
I first encountered a pallet sofa at a friends place in Italy and then I realised I have seen some in the sitting area of Shacks in Goa. This also made me realise that our generation has made ourselves so much constrained to the trendy stuff available in the mall and online furniture websites and don’t have any creativity left in the fast-paced corporate lives. Anyway, cutting all the philosophy short. Let’s go straight to how you can make your own sofa.
The most important thing to consider is the dimensions of the pallet you will choose because they come in shapes and sizes. Measure the place as well to visualise how it will fit and look like. We chose two rectangular pallets and decided to do a double layer of it, which means 6 pallets in total. The dimension of one pallet is 6 ft * 3 ft. We wanted to do an L shape which is the most space-saving and is a bit more relaxing and informal. So all of it fits really well.
We bought these pallets from a local scrap dealer at throwaway prices, you might even get it for free from the stores who discard them. It is also important to take care that it is in good condition while choosing, it might need a little bit of smoothening which is ok. Once you have finalised the pallets, time to head home. 😀
Here is the step by step tutorial to getting your sofa ready!
- Take sandpaper and smoothen the pallets.
- Paint a double coat with your desired colour, we chose cream to keep it neutral.
- Laminate the upper area of the pallet to safeguard the mattress. (Totally optional but recommended.)
- Make or order a mattress in accordance with the pallet size.
- Get the cushions sorted too, it is purely based on your choice and comfort. We wanted to make it very cosy with big cushions so I bought 8, 24-inch cushions to cover the back completely.
And, that’ it! I hope you enjoyed reading this small tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to share how did you make your own pallet sofa.